TransitCamp / Metronauts
TransitCamp was a grassroots unconference about the Toronto transit system. I was the facilitator for the event, and collaborated on the organizing and planning. The event was put together with members of Toronto’s "barcamp" community - a group of technologists who are increasingly interested in applying the kinds of principles of self-organization that characterize the Internet to real-world, live-space events and activism.
TransitCamp led to Metronauts, a partnership between that same grassroots community and Metrolinx, the public authority that manages transportation planning in the Greater Toronto Area and Hamilton.
- The Harvard Business Review included a feature on TransitCamp in their Breakthrough ideas of 2008 issue- Sick Transit Gloria - Harvard Business Review (flash version)
- Announcement on BoingBoing
- Now Weekly: Camp-out with TTC geeks
- Toronto Star: Minding the gaps on The Better Way :
- "About Metronauts" on the Metronauts blog (includes video about the event)
- TransitCamp web site